Google

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Patient Experience with surgery

I was tired of wearing glasses, and really did not enjoy putting on contact lenses, so I decided to get my vision corrected.

There was no preparation before the procedure, but you definitely need someone to come with you to guide you back home.

I entered the doctor’s office and I was given some eye drops while in the waiting room. A few minutes later I was taken into a holding room where I put on scrubs.

After a few minutes I was guided to the surgery room, and directed to lie down with my head in a brace to prevent excessive head movement. A mask was placed over my head so that it only exposed one eye at time and my eye lids where taped open.

The doctor was very good about explaining each step as he was doing it, and I kept my head as still as possible, concentrating on a red light. Water was put on my eye and a brush was used to clean the surface (you don’t feel anything, so it’s kind of cool to see the drops and brush movement). Next, there was an apparatus that was placed over my eye and I felt a slight pressure on the eye.

After this I couldn’t see for a split second then the light was visible again. More washing was done, and then the doctor informed me that the laser part was about to begin and to keep my head as steady as possible. The light intensified (I still couldn’t feel anything) and I heard some noise. After this they washed the eye again, and removed the tape that was applied to the eyelids, and then I blinked.

The doctor informed that it went well and then preceded to do the next eye, which went exactly the same way. From start to finish the entire operation was about 10 minutes.

After the procedure, I went to the waiting room and rested with my eyes closed for 10 minutes. The doctor then called me into his office. He looked on the surface of my eyes, and I read the last line of an eye chart. My eyes were watering throughout this part.

I left and had no pain, but discomfort when I opened my eyes that day. I kept my eyes closed (as recommended by the doctor), opening occasionally. My eyes pretty much watered the first day. I wore dark sunglasses while in the house.

The second day was much better; my eyes felt fine with very minimal watering. It felt as if I was wearing contacts for the first time, so I felt a slight discomfort when I blinked. I remained in the house (recommended by the doctor) this day, again keeping dark sunglasses on.

After that, I functioned normally, and the only thing different was I wore dark glasses while outside for 2 weeks after the procedure.

No comments: